Monday, November 22, 2010

Windows Phone 7 Disappoints

I just have to say that I am very disappointed in the new Windows Phone 7. I recently obtained a Samsung Focus in order to test the new OS. First, let me say that I was very pleased with the Focus. Samsung made a very solid and thin device, with a responsive touchscreen and decent battery life. The hardware is great.

Regarding Phone 7, let me just say, I'm not using it anymore for a number of reasons:

1. No capability to synchronize my Tasks on the Exchange server (and no app that would allow me to add the functionality).

I can do this today on my iOS device. I can do it on my Android device. I can even do it on a webOS device. And I can do it on any Windows Mobile 5.x and 6.x device. Why I can't do it on a Microsoft Phone 7 device, I have no idea.

2. No Microsoft Office Communicator client.

Some in our organization live on this mobile client on their smartphones. The presence information, and live chat is a critical tool. I can use Communicator on my iOS device, my Android device, and of course any Windows Mobile 6.x device. Why I can't use it on a Microsoft Phone 7 device upon release, I cannot figure out. I even posted this in the Microsoft Support forums, and was told this would be out sometime next year.

For these two reasons alone, I don't see where this device has a fit for us. The interface is *nice*, and the tiles on the home screen can be handy at times. However, when I or our employees need to add a Task while mobile, or need to open a chat with a coworker, I can't use it.

Why Microsoft wouldn't have these available upon release, I cannot figure out.

I also have some minor things that are just frustrating: The settings are very sparse, no copy and paste, and a simple search for an app in the app store brings up ten times as many songs in the list as apps. I don't want songs, and I can't figure out a way to filter the search.

I should explain that I am looking at this from a business point of view. I am not a Xbox gamer. It appears like they have some great Xbox tie-ins, and some great games available for the phone.

But I am left shaking my head. I have been a Windows Mobile fan for years, for its capabilities and integration with our Microsoft products. I cannot figure out how they thought this operating system would position them to compete with Android or iPhone. It looks to me like it's trying to catch up, and falls short of the finish line.

Why would most people walk past an iPhone to pick up one of these devices at the same price, or even if they tried it, why would they want to keep it when an iPhone is capable of so much more? Why pay the same or more for Phone 7 when there are so many exciting Android devices available with great capabilities?

I can't find any reasons. I have since gone back to my Windows Mobile 6.5 device for my Tasks and Communicator Mobile client.

No comments:

Post a Comment